I’m thankful to be employed

Today is Thanksgiving Day 2015. Normally I don’t post about daily things, as I tend to keep this blog for technical posts in nature, but I felt that I had to post something that I’m thankful for this year. In short, I’m thankful for my job.

Such a change a year can make

Last year was a very hard year for my family and I. After working for several years at my previous job, I was one of those laid off in 2014 due to on going budgetary cutbacks. My previous employer had been experiencing cutbacks in budget each year since 2008. This resulted in layoffs each year due to those cutbacks.  According to Wikipedia the Great Recession ended in 2009. But it isn’t exactly like everything turns rosy and suddenly industry is operating at 200% of its previous efficiency and productivity. Certain places lag behind others, sometimes by years. Where we live, we lag by a lot.

2014 for us was very hard. Thanksgiving 2014 for us was humble. We weren’t sure when I was going to get a new job. When you’re unemployed for a while each purchase is a trade off between do we eat something or save money for a job search. You cut what you can, to help make something else you need come about. Or at least you hope. It took longer, but it finally came.

 This year is better

This year is better. This year I have a new job. We can buy our own turkey. We’re not worried as we were a year ago. In this day and age Thanksgiving tends to be a forgotten holiday, offering little more than food, football and fast purchasing in preparation for Christmas. But for me it is a time to reflect. I think back to last Thanksgiving and compare it to this Thanksgiving. I thank God for my new job.

Thanksgiving Painting.png

Quick Update on the Sony VAIO drivers and Windows 10

As I posted previously, if you’ve got a Sony VAIO that’s a few years old, you shouldn’t update to Windows 10, due to some device driver issues. I called Sony Technical Support to find out when they’ll get those drivers updated. They told me it would be mid-November 2015. So I’m going to be waiting for the week of November 15th before I give it another try.

An excellent compilation of what’s new in XAML and Windows 10

I’ve behind in listening to the Dot Net Rocks podcast. (Sorry Carl and Richard.) I was listening to one from May of this year. They mentioned a web page by Sahil Malek titled New in XAML VS2015 Windows 10. Sahil has made several tweets about what’s new in XAML in Windows 10. I’m very thankful that he’s tweeted on all of these cool, new things!!

Navigation with MVVM


This is an excellent series of articles by Rachel on the MVVM programming pattern. Well worth reading.

Originally posted on Rachel Lim's Blog:

When I first started out with MVVM, I was lost about how you should navigate between pages. I’m a firm believer in using ViewModels to do everything (unless it’s View-specific code), and that the UI is simply a user-friendly interface for your ViewModels. I did not want to create a button on a page that has any kind of code-behind to switch pages, and I didn’t like the idea of my navigation being spread out throughout all the ViewModels.

I finally came to realize the solution was simple: I needed a ViewModel for the Application itself, which contained the application state, such as the CurrentPage.

Here is an example that builds on the Simple MVVM Example.

The ViewModel

Usually I name the ViewModel ApplicationViewModel or ShellViewModel, but you can call it whatever you want. It is the startup page of the application, and it is usually the only page…

View original 521 more words

If you’ve got a Sony VAIO, DON’T upgrade to Windows 10!

I’ve got Windows 10 on 4 machines. It went well on 3 of them. On my VAIO it’s been a nightmare. It hangs within 15 minutes of use. I’m trying to roll back to Windows 8.1, because of this miserable experience. The problem is Sony wasn’t on the ball updating the drivers for their VAIO laptops. I understand they might be ready in October.

Yeah, October. Guess they didn’t get the memo about Windows 10 being released.

Posted from WordPress for Windows Phone

How to Install Internet Information Services (IIS 7) on Windows 7 Ultimate


I had this very problem at work where I’m using Windows 7 Enterprise Edition. This was very helpful and now I’ve got IIS 7.5 running.

Originally posted on The Voice® of Srijon:


If you want to install Microsoft Internet Information Server (IIS 7) on your new Windows 7 computer first time after working with IIS 6 for long years, I believe you will be surprised with the improvements and changes both in IIS and IIS installation process.

First of all Microsoft has renamed the IIS as Internet Information Services and is not now using Internet Information Server for IIS.
In this short guide I will summarize the steps of installing IIS 7 on Windows 7 in the way I had recently on my Windows 7 Ultimate Edition PC. I’m using this pc as a home pc but I work on my web projects at home so I run SQL Server 2008 R2 as well as IIS and host ASP.NET applications.

So if you want to install Internet Information Services (IIS 7) for a developer computer then you can follow me by reading…

View original 680 more words